Monday, September 22, 2014

Because of Jacqueline by Cynthia Pomranz

Today I have Cynthia Pomranz in the house doing not only an interview about her new book Because of Jacqueline, but also an interesting perspective as to why the book is written in the first-person.



Why Because of Jacqueline is written in first-person from the heroine’s perspective.
First person fiction has been around for hundreds of years.  For example, one of my all-time favorite love stories is Jane Eyre, written in 1847 by Charlotte Bronte.  As a child, I adored The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, written by Mark Twain and told through young Huck’s narrative.  To Kill a Mocking Bird, by Harper Lee and The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald round out my list of best-loved first person classics.

Books written in the first-person are a hot commodity, and they're currently enjoying great success. The Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy by E. L. James still holds a place on the best-seller list. Would millions of women identified with Anastia if the books weren't written in first person?  Unlikely.

Today’s readers want to be immediately tied to the main character.  First person allows the audience to step into the heroine’s head, forming a direct link between her the audience. Due to the connection, there is an inherent believability that is created through the first person perspective. The reader senses that they are getting a direct account of the events.


Because of Jacqueline is written in the first person to satisfy the reader's craving to experience emotions in the moment. Through Jackie’s thoughts, the audience shares her hopes, dreams, and fears.  


An interview with Jackie Simms, the heroine from Because of Jacqueline.
1. Do you have a pet? I have a Maltese mix, named Moxie.  My daughters and I rescued her from a shelter six years ago.  All the other pups in the litter were timid, but she pranced up to us and let out a bark to announce herself.  I told my girls the pup had moxie and the name stuck.  I love her…she’s my third child!

2. Jackie, can you tell me something interesting about you, something I might not ever guess? I love power tools, and I’m not afraid to use them!  My best friend, Trish calls me the DIY girl. With a little luck, I’m planning to purchase a fixer-upper and tackle the home renovations myself.

3. What do you avoid doing?  I never like to look at myself in the mirror naked.  Does any woman? J  I’m afraid what I might see. With the perfect undergarments (I’m a lingerie junkie) and the right outfit, I’ll take a look a discerning look.

4. What is the most important thing to you? Family, of course!  I have twin teen daughters, Grace and Eden, who are spending the summer with their dad. I hope the come visit before their boarding school starts in the fall.

5. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? I’d like to have perfect posture.  As a kid, I tended to slump my shoulders whenever I felt self-conscious.  Sometimes, I catch myself reverting back to the old habit.

6.  Are you a sports fan? Yes! I love to watch the Cardinals on my big splurge, a flat screen TV.  I hope to get to a game at Busch stadium this summer. My hero, Marc, also loves the Cards, and we like to debate the team manager’s game strategies.

7. What is your favorite type of book to read? I love to read about American history. I’ve always had a thing for George Washington.  He was devoted to his wife, Martha, and wore a miniature of her around his neck suspended from a gold chain for all the years of his marriage. 

8.  Do you like to cook? If so, what is your favorite recipe?  I love to cook!  One of my favorite things to make is Dragon’s Breath Chili.  It’s hot and spicy, like the love scenes in Because of Jacqueline.

Buy Links







1 comment: